Thursday, December 16, 2010
The 12 Days of Christmas: Time to Create the New Year!
The 12 Days of Christmas is an ancient tradition concerning the days between Christmas (December 25) and Epiphany (January 6). These are days outside of time, when the old year dies and the new year is yet to be born.
Since these days mark a symbolic 'turning of the tides', these chaotic energies can be shaped into powerlines to the future. That's why this time is especially open to divination and prophecy concerning the new year to come.
One way to connect to the prophetic energies is to keep a dream journal during this time. The 12 days begins on Christmas night (since we begin the new day on the evening before) and the 1st day is December 26th, while the 12th day is celebrated on Epiphany, the day the Magi came with gifts for the Christ child.
On the evening of January 5th we celebrate 12th Night (remember, this is the beginning of the 12th day) with festivities on Twelfth Night, including feasting, along with the removal of Christmas decorations.
So, the dream journey of the 12 Days of Christmas represent the 12 months of the zodiac for the next year. The 1st night's dream symbolizes what you might expect to experience during the astrological month of Aries (March/April2011) while the 12th night represents Pisces (Feb/March2012). You can just record your dreams, or if you have the time and desire, you can incubate the prophetic dreams by spending your 12 days this way.
1. Day 1/Dec. 26 - Aries: Go out exploring. Be brave. Try something new.
2. Day 2/Dec. 27 - Taurus: go do something sensual, go find beauty, relax and enjoy the day, your people, your body.
3. Day 3/Dec. 28 - Gemini: read, think, communicate, learn something, go to the opera, the ballet, the theatre. Take a short trip.
4. Day 4/Dec. 29 - Cancer: stay home and cook. Hang out in your pjs.
5. Day 5/Dec. 30 - Leo: create something, play with kids, connect with a lover, have FUN!
6. Day 6/Dec. 31 - Virgo: help someone. Exercise. Hang out by yourself or with your pets. Talk with your mentor.
7. Day 7/Jan. 1 - Libra: practice balance in your relationships. Do you give as well as take? Be with other people.
8. Day 8/Jan. 2 - Scorpio: let go of toxic emotions; make mad, passionate love; talk with your ancestors, those who have passed on.
9. Day 9/Jan. 3 - Sagittarius: Go on a long trip; visit a church, temple, synagogue, or mosque. Pray and meditate.
10. Day 10/Jan. 4 - Capricorn: make your work your holy dharma; figure out how you can help change our government or financial system. Take responsibility for something big.
11. Day 11/Jan. 5 - Aquarius: find a group whose ideals you believe in; invent something we actually need; work on your vision of the future.
12. Day 12/Jan. 6 - Pisces: dream, pray, do art, ask for a vision. You might want to have a drink. Have faith and trust.
If you incubate your dreams by doing these things each day, you'll dream stronger and truer.
I hope your New Year dreams come true!